I’m an avid red or dark lip gal. So much so that if I wear a nude I feel a little too Jersey Shore. Mind you, I do have a thing for Jersey Shore and all things Jersey which ultimately leads to Scarlet Johanson being my hero in Don Jon. But that’s beside the point. My lips are a big feature of my face (lol!) and I take pride in my ventures to the dark (lip) side.
So when we were asked by one of our readers to do a post on red lips that are smooch proof; I figured I’d take my years of knowledge paired with my moms love of a stay all day lippie to share some tricks, tips and more importantly, products that I’ve personally tried and tested to keep my lips on me and not on my gent. If you’re just looking for a red and not all too perturbed about who it rubs off on, we’ve done a review on a bunch of other red beauties here.
Tips and Tricks
1. If you want all day stay make sure your lips are well exfoliated and 100% dry before you apply.
2. Concealer. Apply a tiny bit to the lip and allow it to dry so that it can act as a primer and take a red lip liner and colour in the whole lip. Keep that concealer for afterwards too.
3. Matte lipstick. I know this isn’t for everyone but if it’s longevity you’re after, it’s the only way it will stick around even after eating. I am a massive fan of Mac Russian Red and Ruby Woo.
4. Blot. I don’t think you see old ladies doing this for their health. It helps remove any excess product therefore making it last a lot better.
5. Set your lip. Michelle likes Rimmel’s Lipstick Lock. I haven’t tried it myself but she digs it and I trust her with my life. I use good old baby powder on a fluffy eyeshadow brush and buff it in slightly.
6. Layer it up. Follow your setting layer with another layer of red lippie and blot once more.
7. Clean up any edges with a small brush and concealer. It gives you a nice clean line and acts like a border.
8. With red lippie there’s always a worry that your teeth will wear your lipstick too. I like to take my pointer finger and stick it in my mouth, slowly removing any excess from my inner lip.
These tips help to keep it on your lips but it still might transfer if you’re having a full on snog session.
Here’s some Stay-Put Products I’ve tried and tested
Revlon Colourstay Overtime Lipstick from all Revlon Stockists
Revlon Just Bitten Lipstains (they look like markers) from all Revlon Stockists
L’Oreal Infallible Le Rouge Lipcolour from L’Oreal stockists
Mac Pro Longwear Lipstick in Lasting Lust R220 from MAC Cosmetics
I hope this gives some help if you’re looking for a Valentines smooch-safe red lip. If you have any others to test please let me know because my dear mumsy would love to know of other brands that live up to their no-budge claims.
Love and red lippie